Written by Bernice vd Westhuizen
We've heard enough rumours about the release of the DJI Spark to get excited about this announcement well in advance - and we are still blown away and excited to get our hands on this powerful minidrone.
If you're not excited perhaps you should take a look at some of the topics we'll check out in this blog. If you're already amped and ready to pre-order this bad boy, you can do so here.
- Spark Introduction (Size, colour, shape)
- Spark versus the Fly More Combo
- What's the difference between the Spark and Mavic?
- How to activate & control the Spark
- Is Spark waterproof?
- What are the new camera functions for Spark?
- What is the quality of the photos and video?
- How far can the Spark fly from you?
- Which mobile devices are compatible with the remote controller?
- Charging Spark & Controller
- How long will a battery last?
- Pre-Order the Spark / Combo
- Casey Neistat gets excited about the DJI Spark + Mavic comparison
1. DJI Spark Introduction:
Let's start off by seeing what this nifty drone looks like. Angles, colours and size!
The colours are interesting (the blue one is rather nice) and sure to be a shipping nightmare. For now we are only getting the white unit, with an estimated arrival date sometime early July.
The Spark size is smaller than some phones nowadays, check it out:
Let's not forget to mention that this drone is available in a combo option as well. See further down.
2. Spark versus the Fly More Combo:
The Spark is available on it's own or in a Fly More Combo. Here's a quick comparison of the price and the items included in each:
Retailing for: R8 699.00
- DJI Spark Aircraft
- Micro USB Cable
- Storage Box
- Propellers (Full set plus one half set, total of 6)
You can see more information on the product page.
DJI Spark Fly More Combo:
Retailing for: R12 159.00
- DJI Spark Aircraft
- Micro USB Cable
- Storage Box
- Propellers (Full set plus a spare set, total of 8)
- Remote Controller
- Propeller Guards
- Power Cable
- Battery Charging Hub
- Shoulder Bag
You can find more information on the product page.
3. What's the difference between the Spark and Mavic?
Although the Spark is equipped with the Mavic Pro's Intelligent Flight modes, it's smaller and lighter than the Mavic.
|Size (see image below)||
H83mm x W83mm x L198mm (Folded)
335 mm (Diagonal size excl. Propellers)
170 mm (Diagonal size excl. Propellers)
|Takeoff Weight||734 g||300 g|
|Speed||65 km / h in Sport mode without wind||50 km / h in Sport Mode without wind|
|Battery Life||27 mins||16 mins|
Sensor : 12.71 MP
Lens : FOV 78.8°, 28 mm, f/2.2
Video Res :
C4K: 4096×2160 24p
Sensor : 12 MP
Lens : FOV 81.9°, 25 mm, f/2.6
Video Res :
Precision measurement range:
0.7 - 15 m
15 - 30 m
3D Sensing system
Obstacle sensing range :
0.2 - 5m
|Price||R19 999||R8 699|
Supposedly this is the size comparison between the two units:
The Spark is also boasting new features such as QuickShot and advance gesture controls like PalmControl.
- PalmControl: Spark can follow the movement of your hand and even land or takeoff from your Palm.
- QuickShot: Shoot professional videos with a simple "tap".
Additional Intelligent Flight Modes Spark supports:
- Spark is the first DJI drone to feature Direction, Coordinate and new submodes for TapFly.
- As mentioned above, the QuickShot features.
- Gesture Mode: Additional gesture recognition capabilities such as PalmControl, Follow, Beckon, and PalmLand.
4. How to activate & control the Spark
You can control the Spark with the use of the remote or your mobile device (simply download the DJI GO 4 app).
There are 2 methods to activate the DJI Spark:
- Connect Spark with your mobile device and launch the DJI GO 4 app . Follow the app instructions to complete the activation.
- In the DJI Go 4 app, tap on the top right icon from the main page and select 'Scan QR Code'. Make use of the camera from your phone to scan the QR code located in the battery compartment of the drone. Follow the instructions in the app to complete this process.
5. Is Spark waterproof?
Unfortunately this aircraft is not waterproof. We recommend avoid flying in snow, wet or foggy weather. (Also ensure that the take off and landing areas are clear of water / damp as the chassis is close to the ground).
6. What are the new camera functions for Spark?
Enjoy Horizontal and Vertical modes through the supported ShallowFocus and Pano modes.
- Shallowfocus uses 3D vision tech to create images with a shallow depth of field
- Pano modes will allow for the capture of panoramic views by capturing three images vertically / horizontally and then combining them.
7. What is the quality of the photos and video?
- Photos at 12Mp
- Videos at 1920 x 1080 pixels at 30 frames per second
Still Photography modes:
- Single shot
- Burst Shooting : 3 frames
- AEB : 3 bracketed frames at 0.7
- EV bias
- Interval : 2/3/5/7/10/15/20/30/60 s
Gimbal controllable range : Pitch: -85° to 0°
8. How far can the Spark fly from you?
South Africa operate under CE wireless certification effects the distance of how far the drone can fly. Additionally you can choose the frequency on which you fly:
- 2.4 GHz = max distance of 500m
- 5.8 GHZ = max distance of 300m
- If you're flying using the DJI GO app you'll only get 100m horizontal and 50m vertical
9. Which mobile devices are compatible with the remote controller?
Recommended device size:
- Width (thickness): 6.5 - 8.5 mm
- Length: 160mm
Devices larger than this will unfortunately not fit the holder of the remote control.
Remote Control Size:
Approximately 15 cm long, 8 cm high, and 6 cm thick.
10. Charging Spark & Controller:
You can charge the drone with the use of the USB cable included. It's important that the battery is not removed during this charging stage.
You can also use the charging hub to charge up to three batteries at the same time. (The charging hub is included in the Fly More Combo).
11. How long does the controller charge for?
It takes 2 hours to charge this fully and will allow for 3 operating hours.
12. How long will a battery last?
You'll get a maximum of 16 minutes in optimal flying conditions (no wind at sea level with average temperatures)
Get in touch / Pre-Order:
If you have any questions about the Spark or interested in getting one, you can get in touch with us:
Give us a call: 011 781 1323
Email us: email@example.com
13. Casey Neistat gets excited about the DJI Spark + Mavic comparison
"Look how tiny it is! Look how tiny it is!" isn't the only thing to brag about. Check this video from Casey as he takes the Spark out for a test flight & checks out some of its features.
He also does a really cool comparison to the bigger brother Mavic at 05:40
And hay if you watched the end of the video, you're probably to keen to see a more in-depth review of the Spark from Marques. Here it is:
Share this post